Friday, October 14, 2005

Calendar girls add a touch of glamour

News - Cambridge Evening News,UK


BATTLING breast cancer can leave women feeling unattractive but one woman has told how she is fighting back in a sexy new calendar.

When you speak to Nita Smith her tinkling laugh is infectious and she claims her sense of humour is what helped her beat breast cancer in 2000.

Now the 51-year-old is chuckling at the thought of pictures of her body adorning the wall of homes and garages across the country.

Nita, who works as a nursing sister at The Bupa Cambridge Lea Hospital in Impington, said: "It is funny to think people will be buying a calendar with me in it, but it was lots of fun because I have always loved getting dressed up."

Wearing just a sophist-icated black negligee, Nita stars as Miss October in the fundraising calendar for Breakthrough Breast Cancer, Macmillan Cancer Relief and Breast Cancer Care.

She said: "I found out I had cancer just a day after my mum died, but I didn't tell my husband because he and worries about things. But, when I finally broke the news, he was incredibly supportive and he is my rock."

Alongside their photo the women, all dressed in lingerie or corsets, tell their story which is even more poignant as Jacqui Blood, Miss April, did not live to see the end result.

More on Calendar girls